The Northeast Pennsylvania Golf Historical Society
July 21, 2016
In August of 1989, the Golf Association of the Lehigh Valley was founded with the intention of providing tournament competition to improve the caliber of amateur golf in the region.
Building on the foundation of the area’s rich golf history, the organization has since grown to conduct the region’s official stroke play championships for all ages and genders, operate the Lehigh Valley Junior Golf Tour, and establish the Lehigh Valley Golf Hall of Fame.
In 2008, organization was renamed The Golf Association of the Lehigh Valley Foundation – a non-profit 501 (C) (3) organization — dedicated to promoting and growing the game of golf in the greater Lehigh Valley for youth and adult golfers, and to preserve the unique history of the game in the region.
To ensure that the foundation will continue its mission for generations to come, a new initiative — The Northeast Pennsylvania Golf Historical Society – will be established.
Directed by the foundation, the society will seek to preserve and promote the unique history of golf in the greater Lehigh Valley and northeast Pennsylvania region through:
- Operating a Northeast Pennsylvania Golf Museum, an institution dedicated to telling the story of regional golf, displaying historical exhibits, and researching regional golf history.
The museum will conduct the following programs:
- Partner with Lehigh Valley Golf Hall of Fame inductees to provide a mentoring program for at-risk youth.
- Operate a teaching facility at the museum with qualified golf instructional programs for youths of all socio-economic circumstances, and special needs youth.
- Conduct interactive presentations & seminars by renowned golf personalities and Lehigh Valley Golf Hall of Fame members for the community.
- Serving as the home of regional amateur golf — Golf Association of the Lehigh Valley Foundation offices.
- Hosting the Lehigh Valley Golf Hall of Fame.
Many of the region’s top professional and amateur golfers, and golf experts have endorsed the initiative: Tom Carter, Jim Booros, Rich Lerner, Noreen Mohler, Robin McCool, Alex Knoll, Mike Paukovits, Paul Reinhard, Bob Kunda, and Brian McCall. They will support this project by contributing some items and memorabilia to support the historical collection of the society.
Interested individuals who want to support The Northeast Pennsylvania Golf Historical Society can contact the foundation at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the foundation office at 610-437-4982.
Back To Blog